BY EMMA PEPPER, DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC NETWORK COMMUNICATIONS, THE HUB
Philanthropy West Virginia recently announced the 13th annual West Virginia Spirit of Philanthropy Awards. The awards were presented at Philanthropy West Virginia’s 26th Annual Members Meeting & Conference in Parkersburg, WV at The Blennerhassett Hotel. The awards program was sponsored by Encova Insurance.
Congratulations to these awardees:
- Critical Impact Award: For transforming the vision and focus of Huntington, WV’s future, the Foundation for the Tri-State Community & the Huntington America’s Best Communities Collaborative Team. FSTC and Huntington has used their passion, drive, and results-oriented work ethic to win the national America’s Best Communities Award and use it to launch new vision and action around Huntington’s future.
- Volunteer Leadership Award: The 2019 honoree is Jean Clark for her personal philanthropic giving and leadership in community philanthropy and numerous causes in Preston and Monongalia Counties. Jean is a dynamo of energy, ideas, and action to grow North Central WV’s greatest opportunity which is the growth of Your Community Foundation of North Central WV.
- Lifetime Volunteer Leadership Award: C.J. Kaiser is being honored for his longtime commitment to the Upper Ohio Valley community. Serving on the Community Foundation for the Ohio Valley’s Board of Directors for 28 years, Mr. Kaiser is a driving force behind the Community Foundation of the Ohio Valley’s growth from a $1.4 Million organization in 1991 to over $60 Million in 2019. Mr. Kaiser is both a donor and advisor to many individuals who engage in personal philanthropy through the community foundation. Kaiser’s vision, dedication, and commitment has built a better CFOV as well as a stronger future for the Upper Ohio Valley.
- Inaugural Corporate Responsibility Leader Award: Philanthropy WV created the Corporate Responsibility Leader Award in 2019 to inspire, encourage, and recognize companies of all sizes who are partners in West Virginia’s communities through giving, volunteering, and in-kind investments. The Corporate Responsibility Leader Award recognizes those companies who personify best community engagement practices for a stronger West Virginia. Dominion Energy and Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation received the inaugural award.
- Staff Leadership Award: Making the amazing things happen is just one of the accomplishments of the 2019 Staff Leadership Award recipient, Tamara Mullins. Ms. Mullins gives a full-time heart and work-ethic to a part-time role as Executive Director of the Nicholas County Community Foundation. Mullins has worked on numerous projects and community education initiatives to bring together partners to grow the local philanthropy assets for Nicholas County’s future.
- Lifetime Staff Leadership Award: For nearly twenty years, Sheri Ryder has strengthened, supported, and humbly served The Greater Kanawha Valley Foundation and the Kanawha Valley Community as the Senior Program Officer of the foundation. Her leadership, impact, and creativity has fostered greater nonprofit partnerships, enhanced grantmaking, and implemented new strategies for the benefit of her community.