BY STEPHANIE TYREE, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, THE HUB
The team behind the Small Communities, BIG Solutions Conference (register here!) is looking for nominations of communities, groups, organizations and individuals that are driving forward success in Southern West Virginia.
The selected nominees will be honored at the conference on November 18th with a Power of Performance Award.
The conference partners, including the Alliance for Economic Development in Southern West Virginia, Coalfield Development Corporation, and the WV Community Development Hub, are looking to highlight innovative and passionate projects throughout the event (see our story on last year’s conference). The event will shine a spotlight on professionals, community leaders, and experts and their unique perspectives on Southern West Virginia successes.
About the Award
Power of Performance honorees can either be an individual, employer, nonprofit, organization or institution that is doing something remarkable in Southern West Virginia. These honorees are truly power performers in Southern West Virginia. They are making positive things happen in their neighborhoods, communities, and across the state.
Thought-leaders with a strong grasp of these areas of work are encouraged to submit their success story on their preferred topic. The topics include:
- Putting People to Work: Are you involved in a project that is helping to put people to work? Share your story, whether it is through training, connecting workers with existing jobs or hiring workers for your new start up, we want to know how you are helping to connect potential employees with job opportunities. This conference wants to showcase successful workforce programs that are connecting the dots between employers and the workforce as well as employers who are hiring.
- Revitalizing Communities: Are you working to help revitalize your community? Share your story, whether you are organizing a recycling program, building more housing, or implementing a community led project, we want to learn how you or your business or organization is helping to redevelop and grow your community.
- Changing Lives: Are you or your organization helping West Virginians lead more productive and/or healthier lives? Whether it is through offering support services, unique educational opportunities, counseling or mentoring, we want hear from you. We are interested in learning more about your successful program that is helping to lift individuals out of poverty, giving individuals a second chance on being productive adults, and/or equipping West Virginians with vital training and resources.
The conference team is looking to highlight success stories within the following 21-county region: Boone, Cabell, Clay, Fayette, Greenbrier, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, McDowell, Mercer, Mingo, Monroe, Nicholas, Pocahontas, Putnam, Raleigh, Summers, Wayne, Webster and Wyoming counties.
The selection committee will review the submissions and choose up to six projects to highlight during the conference. Last year’s awardees included the Community Transformation Project (Beckley); Ashland Scenic Campground (McDowell County); Fruits of Labor (Greenbrier County); WV Hive Network (Beckley); High Rocks Educational Corporation (Pocahontas County); and the Healthy Grandfamilies Project (Kanawha County).
To apply, fill out the nomination form by October 23, 2019. Click here to go to the form.
- The deadline to apply is Wednesday, October 23, 2019.
- All honorees will be notified via email or mail by November 4, 2019.
- Self-nominations for this award are encouraged.
- Filling out the nomination form does not commit you to any speaking role.
- All honorees selected will receive an official invitation to the conference.
- Honorees will have an opportunity to share their Southern West Virginia success story during the official conference program.
- Honorees will be highlighted in conference materials.