BY TAYLOR BENNETT, COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT POLICY COORDINATOR, THE HUB
Are you looking for a way to take action on the abandoned properties challenge in WV?
The Abandoned Properties Coalition is looking for folks like you to weigh in on two key issues our teams are tackling this year.
Fixing the Tax Sale Process
- The process of selling property tax debt in WV can often prevent properties from being used productively by communities and individuals.
- Our team has identified key ways that we can help to make this process better and help get WV’s vacant properties into the hands of folks who will use them productively as places to live, build our communities, and earn a living.
- We’re stronger with your input! Would you like to help us share information across the state? Do you have ideas about how this issue impacts individuals and communities? You don’t have to have existing knowledge about the tax sale process to get involved. All you need is a desire to make a difference on this issue.
On the Spot Citations
- The ability for municipalities to address issues such as litter and dilapidation by writing and post citations the moment they notice a problem, allows them to promote healthy, beautiful communities which are better for residents and more attractive to businesses.
- Our team has devised a way to help provide information and support for towns and cities across the state who are looking to put this into action.
- Are you interested in helping us build a tool that will help communities get there? Would you like to share information with your community? Let us know!
Our teams are currently strategizing about how to make the most impact. So now is a perfect time to get involved if you:
- Know absolutely nothing about the tax sale process or on the spot citations and want to learn more.
- Have thoughts on these topics that we ought to be considering.
- Want to take action on abandoned properties and the problems that cause them.
For more information about how to join one of these teams or about how to participate in other ways, please email Taylor Bennett, the Hub’s Policy Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.