BY DONNA DANIELS, DIRECTOR, BRUSHY FORK INSTITUTE
The Brushy Fork Leadership Institute, a Strategic Initiative of Berea College, has scheduled the 2019 Brushy Fork Leadership Summit for September 18-20 on the campus of Berea College in Kentucky. You can register online at: http://2019_brushyforkleadershipsummit.eventbrite.com.
The Leadership Summit will begin with an intensive early bird session, Exploring the Landscape for Leadership Development in Appalachia, held at Boone Tavern on September 18. The Summit also will feature intensive hands-on workshop tracks on September 19 and 20. This year’s tracks are led by experts and provide ten hours of instruction in the following:
- Leadership for Community Reconciliation: Explore how to approach divisions in communication and action in our communities by recognizing biases and assumptions and practice techniques for moderating discussions around difficult issues.
- Personal Leadership Development: Discover your natural strengths using the Strengths-Based Leadership tool and consider conflict and communication styles based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
- Using Data for Effective Leadership: Explore how to develop clear goals, supported by research, and learn about what kinds of research and data are useful in each stage of any project: diagnosing issues; determining solutions; implementing strategies; and evaluating results.
- Leadership for Strategic Community Results: Consider how to create a vision, build trust, and engage the broader community in development efforts. Learn from people in ordinary communities that have achieved extraordinary results through the efforts of local leaders.
- Executive Nonprofit Leadership: Go beyond the basics of nonprofits. Explore practical approaches to executive-level issues, such as creating and communicating a strategic vision, planning for leadership succession, and handling executive level communications with funders and board members.
- Women and Leadership: Articulate your own leadership goals and explore balancing responsibility with self-care to help renew your strength as you face challenging roles. Consider how to seek and work with mentors to help you along the way and be a mentor to those who are following you on the path to resilient leadership.
The registration fee is $325 and includes the optional early bird, workshop tracks, meals, and materials. Attendees are responsible for their own lodging.
You can register online at: http://2019_brushyforkleadershipsummit.eventbrite.com.