Keep up to date with bills we are following relating to community development, abandoned properties and local foods issues each week.
This week we’re going to highlight bills relating to or possibly impacting local foods. Click on the bill number to learn more about what this bill intends.
Local Foods Bills
- Raw Milk Bills: All three bills would permit the sale of raw milk and require the Department of Agriculture to propose rules to regulate that sale. SB 2449 would permit cow share ownership.
- SB 30 – Permitting the Sale of Raw Milk, Sponsor Sen. Daniel Hall – Taken up in Senate Agriculture Committee, did not advance out of committee
- HB 2448 – Permitting the Sale of Raw Milk, Sponsor Del. Kelly Sobonya – Has not been taken up by House Agriculture Committee
- HB 2449 – Permitting Co-Owners of Cows to Receive Milk from those Cows, Sponsor Del. Kelly Sobonya – Has not been taken up by House Agriculture Committee
- Farmers Market Permits
- Food Handlers Licenses: Allows a county to issue a food handlers license that is accepted statewide, and creates separate fees for statewide licenses and county-specific licenses. HB 2471: Relating to Food Handlers’ Licenses, Sponsor Del. Denise Campbell – Has not been taken up by House Health and Human Resource Committee.